“How can I, as an individual, make a difference?”
Here are ten very simple ways in which YOU can make a difference!
- SHOP ETHICALLY. Where and how is your food grown and your household products produced? Try and find out as every item bought uses the Earth’s precious resources.
- CHANGE TO A GREEN ENERGY SUPPLIER. There are now many companies that offer renewable ‘green’ energy, including all the big suppliers. Not only is this helping the environment, in many cases it can help your pocket too.
- EAT MORE VEGETABLE BASED MEALS. You can reduce your Carbon Footprint and Air Miles by buying seasonal UK grown vegetables and staples.
- UP YOUR PERSONAL RECYCLING. Think about simple changes you can make. Take back to your supermarket your single-use plastic. The message will get across.
- CHOOSE CLEANER TRANSPORT. Change to an electric car, or travel by bus and car-sharing. Reduce or give up travelling by plane – for European trips, why not travel by train, they are fantastic!
- MAKE DO AND MEND – programmes such as The Great British Sewing Bee have brought about a resurgence in people making their own clothes… and mending them and making new items from old clothes. It’s not just about clothes either – much we dispose of that we think is broken can be mended.
- BUY LOW ENERGY LIGHTS - buy low energy light bulbs and turn out the lights. A standard light bulb being turned off when not used could save you over £40 a year, whilst turning down the heating by just 1°C could save you £65 a year also.
- CHECK YOUR SMART METER. You will then know what individual equipment in your house is costing you. If you don’t have a smart meter, ask your energy supplier as they are free.
- RESEARCH CLIMATE CHANGE YOURSELF. Find out the steps that you can take to reduce your Carbon Footprint. It’s easier than you might think!
- ASK YOUR COUNCIL HOW THEY DISPOSE OF YOUR WASTE. What happens to Tetra Paks? Where does our waste go? Is waste simply shipped abroad? Let’s find out together where every bit of our waste goes and make changes happen from today.
- SIT DOWN AS A FAMILY AND WORK OUT WHAT YOU CAN DO - working together on reducing your carbon footprint as a family is both enjoyable and educational.
- GO ON HOLIDAY BY TRAIN RATHER THAN PLANE - by taking a train rather than a plane you will be significantly lowering your carbon footprint, whilst having a fabulous time too!
“It’s only one plastic bottle… said 8 billion people”